Thursday, May 1, 2008

Throwin' it on out there . . .


Allow me to apologize profusely for my absense. As you know, for I've babbled on incesently about it for a while, I had an improv show, and it's been a thing that has dominated my mental space for a couple of weeks. That's weird, of course, because it was an IMPROV show, so there's no way that I could have planned anything, but I suppose that it it's safe to say that I was preparing myself mentally for this exercise in masochism.
It was great fun, by the way, the improv show. We had a decent sized crowd (including two very important and totally amazing people from my parish! Thank you so much for being there, Mr. and Mrs. B. Your support meant the world to me.), and I think that people were generally happy with what they saw. I'm eager to do another performance soon . . . Well, soon-ish, anyway.
And, so now it is down to business, as they say, and I want to make it my business to discuss some aspect of Waugh, his work, or . . . His shoe size. Whatever. The thing is, though, I could keep throwing out suggestions for books (or whatever) to discuss, and I might never hit on the one thing that you guys are interested in. So, I'm now asking you fine, fabulous folks to tell me what you'd like to talk about. Brideshead? Decline and Fall? Vile Bodies? Gilbert Pinfold? I'm game for anything. Any Waugh is good Waugh in my little world. That's just how pathetically devoted I am. But, you know, that's how devotion should be. If you can't be pathetically and even somewhat stupidly devoted to your devotion, that you shouldn't even bother. Hey, that could even be a topic to DEVOTE ;P some space to. To what or to whom are you ridiculously devoted? Waugh and chocolate covered coffee beans are probably near the top of my list . . .

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad the improv was a trip! Good for you for considering a second one!

Well, it's easier to say to what and whom I'm not pathetically devoted, but for now, teeny little kids rush to mind first, and old people, the poor, clowns..

I haven't read much Waugh, yet..I'm afraid to--I can become utterly addicted to writers of the passions (and/or honor) very quickly, albeit not contemporary ones.

Yada yada.. anyway, welcome back!

Amy said...

Even just the thought of teeny weeny poor old clowns makes me want to curl up into a fetal position and scream.
But, you know, I was gonna do that today anyway . . .
Seriously, though, you should read more Waugh. He is a true readers' writer. If you like books (actual books . . . nothing with the "author's" name stamped on the cover in raised neon letters above some kind of "artwork" that prominently features a high-heeled shoe), you'll like Waugh. He is a world-class snob, an irascible curmudgeon to the highest degree, and, by most standards, deeply, deeply weird (especially later in life), and I love him dearly (Oh, how he does cringe at this, I'm sure!). Such pure joys as reading an Evelyn Waugh novel are few and far between in this valley of shadows.

Anonymous said...

Well, I would read more just so as to have something wondrously fun to speak with you about, but I did indeed love "Brideshead." His view/writing seems in a class all its own.

Convenor said...

It would be very kind if you could let your readers know about the December issue of our twice-yearly journal 'CHRISTVS REGNAT':

http://catholicheritage.blogspot.com/2009/12/christvs-regnat-december-2009.html

You are most welcome to link to/follow/blogroll our blog:

http://www.catholicheritage.blogspot.com/

Please pray for me!

God bless you!

St. Conleth's Catholic Heritage Association (Ireland)